This week was a tough one! First I was snowed in for three days, and then when I finally made my great escape, I was on a work trip, surrounded by cake, cookies, and wine at every step. The hotel catered every meal, and it was a challenge, but I survived! In case you’re wondering exactly what I ate while surrounded by hotel food, here’s a snippet of the food posted on my tumblr (carlyeatsfood):
Not too shabby. There was also some wine and some cake. I’ve found that my mindset really has changed, thanks to weight watchers and tracking all of my food. When I find myself facing a challenging food decision I remind myself, “there will always be another piece of cake. Is THIS the piece of cake you want to indulge in, or should you wait for something better?” And generally, I wait. And then when I do find a piece of cake, or whatever, that I do want, I’m ok with it because I’ve said no to like 5 other pieces of cake (ok, I’m not normally surrounded by that much cake, but you get the idea!). Honestly, simply being mindful has made a huge decision.
So here are some tips about eating when traveling for work (not for pleasure! If I was in Hawaii I’m pretty sure I’d throw my WW app out the window!):
1. Pack snacks. A baggy full of nuts, a few protein bars, if possible some cheese or fruit. I failed at this, thanks to Snowpocalypse I didn’t make it out to the store before my flight. I did have some nuts but ended up never eating them.
2. When in doubt, get a salad. There were many carby, meaty, heavy options and I generally just told myself it wasn’t worth it and stuck with salad. Boring, yes, but I wasn’t overwhelmed by the bad for me options if I knew I could stay on track by simply not taking them into consideration.
3. Let yourself indulge. At some point, you’re going to crack if you keep avoiding ALL the sweets. So let yourself have a treat every so often, or if you’re anything like me, you’ll go from eating no cake to eating ALL THE CAKE.
4. Embrace the hotel gym. This was a first for me! Never in my life have I used a hotel fitness center, but after sitting around in meetings all day, I actually wanted to go to the gym. A few miles on the treadmill and I felt less guilty about the wine later. It’s all just a balancing act, really.
5. Drink water. I carried my water bottle from meeting to meeting, and staying hydrated definitely helped keep the munchies at bay.
I know you guys know all of these already, but hey, I’m here to help! Or really, just to brag, and sound like I’m smart, when really, I’m afraid that my weight loss success is going to start getting harder and harder and I’m eventually going to go running into the loving arms of Ben and Jerry. But so far, so good.
Starting Weight: 176.6 lbs
Last Weigh-in: 169.0 lbs
This Weigh-in: 166.8 lbs
Difference: 2.2 lbs
Total Difference: 9.8